The book of Revelation describes a scene in Heaven and the Father is holding a book (scroll) sealed with seven seals. (Revelation 5:1) Bible expositors describe in great detail each of the seals because of John’s description of each seal. However, much less information is available about the contents of the book other than John's description that there is writing on both sides of the book. The Bible does give us clues about the book that helps to identify its contents, the reasons for the seven seals, and the meaning and purpose of breaking the seven seals.
The Father wrote a book called the Book of Life before any life was created. Because of his omniscience, He knew that sin would rise in the universe and also foreknew who would choose salvation or ultimate destruction. The problem is that if the Father had this knowledge He could be accused of predestining the status of His children. To prevent an accusation that created beings do not have free will, the Father sealed the Book of Life with seven seals. The Book of Life and the book sealed with seven seals are the same book, because the Lamb only received one book in Revelation and John twice referred to it as the Lamb’s Book of Life. (Revelation 13:8; 21:27) So, in Revelation 5:9, Jesus was found worthy to break the book sealed with seven seals which is the Lamb’s Book of Life. When Jesus breaks all the seals, the actions of created beings will be compared with the contents of the Book of Life. God will demonstrate that while He foreknew the choices of each created being, He allowed them to choose their ultimate destiny.
Jesus was found worthy to take the book and open the seven seals. The breaking of each seal reveals another aspect of Jesus Christ. Here are short descriptions of each seal:
- First Seal – Salvation through Faith Alone
- Second Seal – Worldwide Translation and Distribution of the Bible
- Third Seal – Judgment of the Dead
- Fourth Seal – Judgement of the Living
- Fifth Seal – Believers in Jesus Christ are Martyred
- Sixth Seal – Jesus Christ’s Second Coming
- Seventh Seal – The Book of Life is Opened
All created beings will be present when the seventh seal is opened. They will be silent when they realize that the Father proves He allowed them to freely choose their destiny and the Book of Life shows their choice. Everyone will see that Jesus is Divine, just like the Father.
Bible prophecy indicates there will a sequence of end time events including a great tribulation. The next seal to be opened is the fourth seal and people will know Jesus has broken it by the worldwide death and destruction that begins then.
Latest posts by Marty Purvis (see all)
- Asteroid Impacts – Scientific Lunacy or Bible Prophecy - August 29, 2017
- The Book of Daniel and Revelation Prophecy Charts - July 14, 2017
- Did Jesus Die in Our Place? – Christians, Three Gods, and the Trinity (Pt. 4) - February 1, 2017
- Jacksonville 2016 Photo Album - October 31, 2016
- Righteousness by Faith Video Series - October 12, 2016